This 1/2 day lake, 1/2 day river class will teach you the fundamentals of River Stand up Paddleboarding. Your lesson will involve an in depth look at the equipment you will be using, learning how to maneuver the board and proper self rescue and falling technique. You’ll learn the necessary techniques needed for moving water - techniques such as edging , bracing, and pivoting the board, as well as eddy turns, peel outs, and ferries.
Lessons run rain or shine, so check out our recommended gear list for suggestions on what to bring to be prepared.
Location, Dates, and Times:
|Sunday, June 4, 2017
|Sunday, June 18, 2017
|Sunday, July 2, 2017
|Sunday, July 30, 2017
|Sunday, August 13, 2017
|Sunday, August 27, 2017
|Sunday, September 10, 2017
|Sunday, September 24, 2017
Intro to River Stand Up Paddleboarding
- Start time 9am
- Introductions & Logistics
- Launching and Landing
- Standing and Balance
- Strokes (Sweep, forward and draw)
- Break for Lunch
- Eddy turns, peel outs, and ferries
- Additional Techniques for Standing and Balance
- Stroke Adjustment
- Advanced Strokes
- Techniques for Waves and Wind
- Wrap up
- End Time may vary - around 3pm, depending on class
What to bring:
- Lots of water and a small carabiner to clip water bottle into the board
- Waterproof Sunscreen
- Something to get wet in (swimsuit)
- Lunch and Snacks
- Warm dry clothing for when you are off the water
Additional recommended items:
- Fleece or other synthetic clothing (not containing cotton) that can be worn under a wetsuit
- A hat
- Sunglasses with retention strap (Croakies, etc.)
- Wetsuit booties or river sandals (must stay on when you swim)
This lesson includes all the SUP gear you will need including a board, paddle, PFD, wetsuit and booties. If you have your own equipment, we encourage you to bring it since it is most likely what you will be using outside of this lesson.
Chatfield State Park
Entering the park from Wadsworth Blvd.:
After leaving the gate house off of take a right at the first stop sign. Follow the main road about 1.8 miles south. You will pass a road on your right that goes to the horse stables. The road will curve to the left and you will see the gravel pond on your right. Take the next right turn on to a dirt road and follow it to a large parking lot. Class meets next to the large pond on the right.
Entering the park from N. Roxborough Park Rd.:
After leaving the gate follow the main road for about 2.2 miles. You go past a campground and go over a river. After you cross the bridge make a left turn on to a dirt road and follow it to a large parking lot. Class meets next to the large pond on the right.
The reservoir has a gate fee of: $8.00 or have a Season Pass. This class begins at 9am.